Sign In
Parks & Recreation FAQ
General Dauphin County Parks & Recreation FAQ’s
  • What parks have picnic pavilions?
    • Fort Hunter Park, Wildwood Park, Lykens Glen Park and Wiconisco Creek Park
  • How quickly do the rentals book?
    • We rent first come, first serve and the pavilions book very quickly. We suggest calling 717-599-5188 ext. 2114 in January.
  • How many do the pavilions seat?
    • Fort Hunter West 48, Fort Hunter East 60, Wildwood Olewine 64, Wildwood North 48, Lykens small 48, Lykens large 160, Wiconisco 35
  • Do the pavilions have electricity?
    • All have electric with exception of Lykens small pavilion and Olewine Wildwood North pavilion.
  • Is alcohol permitted in the Parks?
    • No.
  • Is there a playground near the pavilion?
    • Most of the pavilions are located near or next to a playground.
  • Where can I find up-to-the-minute weather updates on events being held at any of the Dauphin County Parks?
    • Like us on Facebook at Dauphin County Parks & Recreation. By liking us, we’ll keep you up to date on weather related questions regarding our events.
FAQ’s at Wildwood Park and Olewine Nature Center
  • What are the hours of the Olewine Nature Center open?
    • The nature center is open Tuesday through Sunday 10am-4pm.
  • Is there a fee?
    • No, it is free
  • Are the trails in Wildwood Park open daily?
    • Yes, trails are open dawn to dusk.
  • How many miles is it to walk the trail around Wildwood Lake?
    • 3.1 miles
  • Can the trails handle strollers and bikes?
    • Yes, the 3.1 mile trail around Wildwood Lake is part of the Harrisburg Greenbelt. There are signs informing bikers when to dismount and pay attention going down certain hills.
  • Are dogs allowed?
    • Dogs are always welcome on the trails. Pet waste stations provided, leashes required.
  • Are there places to rent at the Wildwood Park or Olewine Nature Center?
    • Yes, the pavilions are popular with wedding rentals, family reunions, and other gatherings. Call 717-599-5188 ext. 2114 for additional information.
  • What number do I call to register for a program?
    • The center’s number is 717-221-0292 extension 1. 
  • What trail should I walk to see birds, turtles and frogs?
    • The Towpath is the best area for turtle and waterfowl observation. The Delta and North Boardwalks are great for song birds and frogs. 
  • Are there boardwalks that meander through the wetlands?
    • Yes, the Delta and North Boardwalks lead walkers through pristine freshwater wetlands.
Fort Hunter Park FAQ’s
  • Where is Fort Hunter Park and Mansion located?
    • Fort Hunter Park and Mansion is six miles north of Harrisburg at 5300 North Front Street, Harrisburg.
  • When is the Fort Hunter Mansion open for tours?
    • Fort Hunter Mansion is open for tours Tuesday through Saturday from 10 am – 4:30 pm. Sunday tours are available from 12 pm – 4:30 pm.
  • Do I need to make a reservation if I want to take a tour of the Fort Hunter Mansion?
    • No. Reservations are only required for groups and schools visiting the park.
  • How much does it cost to take a tour?
    • The cost to take a tour is $5.00 for adults, $4.00 for senior citizens, and $3.00 for children. Special group rates are available for those groups of 10 or more with a reservation.
  • How do I find out about renting the facilities at Fort Hunter for a Wedding/reunion/picnic?
  • Where can I purchase tickets to Dauphin County performing arts events?
    • Tickets can be purchased online for events such as the Music and Wine Festival, BrewFest, and the Jazz and Wine Festival. Other ticket venues include Mr. Mike’s Music on 3rd Street in Harrisburg as well as the Fort Hunter Mansion and the Dauphin County Parks & Recreation office at 100 Fort Hunter Road.
  • Can I leave my car parked in the parking lots overnight?
    • Fort Hunter Park is closed from dusk until dawn, no overnight parking is allowed.
  • May I use the large field area for a pickup game such as soccer?  Is there a fee?
    • The field area is for use on a first come, first serve basis, no reservations or fees are required.  We ask that temporary markers for goals, etc. be used.
  • May I put up a tent for my wedding or other rental uses?
    • Tents are not permitted at Fort Hunter Park.
Copyright © 2002-2012 Dauphin County. All Rights Reserved.
HIPAA Privacy Notice | Privacy Policy | PA State Website

Dauphin County is Social

County of Dauphin, Department of Information Technology
2 South Second Street, Fifth Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17101-1295
Contact Dauphin County | County Phone Numbers
Employees Only